A.I.R. NYC: Private live-work space in Brooklyn artists’ community
- Period of activity
- Open year-round
- Duration of residency
- 1 to 3 months
- Date for applying
- Disciplines and media
- Painting, drawing, multimedia, dance, writing, photography, theater, music, performance, film
- Type of organisation
- Artist-run community organization
- Number of artists resident at one time
- 5 to 6
- Brief description of residency program
- Mothership NYC is a combined live-work space and presentation arena for international artists across multiple disciplines in the Greenpoint neighborhood of Brooklyn, NYC. Our converted industrial loft has three cabins for permanent crew members (all 30+ years-old female creatives) and two spaces for shorter-term visitors (yes, guys are welcome, too).
As of December 2016, one of the short-term options is a PRIVATE LIVE-WORK SPACE for rotating Artists-in-Residence, which is available for periods from 1 to 3 months for $1550/month:
a spacious, light-filled and high-ceilinged room divided into two separate sections.
The living area has a loft bed, clothing rack, dresser, and a small sitting area. The studio has a desk, a large table, and empty walls to work on. There is an easel, too, as well as a great bike you get to use. (Please see pictures in bottom slide show: http://www.mothership.nyc/artist-residency/)
· Every 2nd Tuesday of the month, we invite fellow artists and other creatives/cultural workers for a salon-style gathering where you can present your work to a very receptive audience of local artist peers and other arts professionals and appreciators
· We host monthly artists' dinners for our international and NYC-based creative colleagues
· During the warm months, we use the roof deck as a stage for creative productions across several disciplines
· You can organize open studio events during your stay (we’ll help you!)
· Various collaborative productions may also be hosted at our satellite platform, Last Frontier NYC
- Latitude and Longitude
A community of hardworking artists, Mothership NYC has no outside funding, so everybody on board must cover their own rent.
However, knowing full well the brutal reality of the New York real estate market, we wish to make a sojourn with us feasible also for colleagues of limited means. Therefore, with the generous help of anonymous donors, we have created the annual NOoSPHERE Arts Residency Award: Once a year, we offer a month-long residency free of charge to one talented international artist. Selected by a committee of peers, the award winner will spend their time on board with us developing a creative project for presentation to the NYC audience on one of our Brooklyn stages. Annual deadline: February 4, with notification to winner on March 16 for award period the following year.